2020 Highlights: A More Powerful Westlaw Edge
With the year winding down, Legal Current is revisiting 2020 milestones and key accomplishments from the Legal business of Thomson Reuters. Today we look at seven significant Westlaw Edge enhancements made in 2020 that are helping legal professionals work more efficiently and improve the quality of their legal research.
- Quick Check Judicial. Another AI-based tool, Quick Check Judicial, was designed for judges but is also a necessity for lawyers. The tool allows Westlaw Edge users to upload multiple briefs or memos from a single matter to surface highly relevant authority that neither party included and provides fast, automated review of citations and quotations.
- Quick Check Quotation Analysis. The AI-enabled feature Quick Check Quotation Analysis provides an additional layer of review and analysis for Westlaw Edge users. It examines quotes in legal documents to ensure accuracy – saving researchers significant time evaluating and understanding the context of quotes – and delivers an added layer of confidence for legal professionals.
- Legislative Insights. The introduction of Legislative Insights, a tool that provides actionable data relating to proposed federal legislation, has helped Westlaw Edge users make the most of the comprehensive legislative content from Thomson Reuters and technology from Skopos Labs. It provides guidance relating to proposed legislative changes that may affect a client, company, agency or an entire industry.
- Westlaw Edge UK and Divergence Tracker. The introduction of Westlaw Edge UK brought the next-generation legal research system to the UK market, delivering features that allow users to stay ahead of regulatory change and navigate the legal divergence with the EU. The Divergence Tracker feature provides a side-by-side, marked-up comparison of EU and UK law to show how the two bodies of law begin to diverge.
- Legal Data APIs. A key improvement involved making data from Westlaw Edge Litigation Analytics and Practical Law available through application programming interfaces (APIs) that can be integrated into firms’ systems and workflows. Combining Thomson Reuters data with internal data through the Thomson Reuters Legal Data APIs offers legal professionals a more comprehensive view and the ability to gain greater insights leading to more informed decisions.
- Damages in Litigation Analytics. Most recently in November, the addition of Damages in Litigation Analytics gave Westlaw Edge users greater ability to analyze damages in federal court cases. The enhancement helps users better evaluate and value potential cases, see how damage awards differ by case type, judge or court, and more effectively manage settlement negotiations.
- Trademark Image Search. Though trademark registrations have been available and searchable via text on Westlaw for years, the new Trademark Image Search addresses the challenge of text-based searching when visual similarity is key. It enables users to upload an image and search visually similar images – an intellectual property enhancement that means the image has become the search term.
Since the 2018 launch of Westlaw Edge in the U.S., more than a dozen tools and features have been integrated into the platform at no added cost to subscribers. Check them out at Westlaw Edge.